|تعداد مشاهده مقاله||24,215,577|
|تعداد دریافت فایل اصل مقاله||22,098,755|
The Effect of Company’s Business Strategy on Audit Fee and Auditor’s Opinion according to Competition Theory (Empirical Evidence from Tehran Stock Exchange)
|International Journal of Finance & Managerial Accounting|
|دوره 8، شماره 30، شهریور 2023، صفحه 1-18 اصل مقاله (521.6 K)|
|نوع مقاله: Original Article|
|شناسه دیجیتال (DOI): 10.30495/ijfma.2023.61511.1664|
|Elahe Mahdavi Sabet1؛ Hamidreza Vakilifard 2؛ Ahmad yaghobnezhad3؛ Bahman Banimahd 4|
|1PhD Student in Accounting, School of Management and Economics, Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch, Tehran, Iran|
|2Associate Professor and Faculty Member, School of Management and Economics, Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch, Tehran, Iran|
|3Associate Professor and Faculty Member, School of Management and Economics, Central Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran|
|4Associate Professor and Faculty Member, School of Management and Economics, Karaj Branch, Islamic Azad University, Karaj, Iran.|
|The present research studied the effect of prospective business strategy on audit fee and auditor’s opinion according to competition theory and risk-based auditing theory. It investigated whether audit fee and independent auditor’s opinion are affected by the client’s business strategy. The statistical population included firms listed in Tehran Stock Exchange, out of which 75, from period 2010-2018, were selected as the sample. To conduct statistical analyses, multiple linear regression with least squares (LS) method with panel-fixed effects approach, and binary logistic regression were used. Data analysis showed that the artificial variable “prospective business strategy” has a positive, significant relationship with dependent variables “audit fee” and “auditor’s modified opinion”. It can be thus concluded that audit fee and the probability of issuing a modified audit opinion are greater in clients with prospective business strategy. The research results provided, for the first time, evidence on the empirical relationship between client’s business strategy and audit fee and auditor’s opinion. Therefore, they can be exploited in legislations on auditing.|
|prospective business strategy؛ audit fee؛ modified opinion؛ competition theory؛ risk-based auditing theory|
Aflatuni A (2013). Statistical Analysis using EViews in Accounting Research and Financial Management. Termeh, Tehran.
2) Amirazad M, Zeinali M, Shahi R. (2014). Examining the Effect of Corporate Governance Mechanisms on Auditor Choice. Auditing Knowledge, 14(57), 65-88.
3) Badavar Nahandi Y, Derakhshi R, Shirmohammadlu R. (2014). Examining the Effect of Auditor Size and Industry-Specific Expertise on Audit Fee. In: The Second National Conference on an Approach to Accounting, July, Management and Economy.
4) Banimahd B, Hasas Yeganeh Y, Yazdanian N. (2014). Earnings Management and Audit Opinion: Evidences of Private Audit Firms. Scientific Research Quarterly Journal of Management Accounting, 7(2), 17-32.
International Journal of Finance and Managerial Accounting / 17
Vol.8 / No.30 / Summer 2023
5) Banimahd B, Moradzadeh Fard M, Zeinali M. (2012). The Effect of Audit Fee on Auditor’s Opinion. Scientific Research Quarterly Journal of Management Accounting, 5(15), 41-54.
6) Banimahd B, Nayebzadeh Z. (2018). Audit Services Pricing and Competition Theory. Scientific Research Quarterly of Management Accounting and Auditing Knowledge, 7(25), 181-191.
7) Banimahd B. (2011). Investigating the Effective Factors on Qualified Audit Opinions. Stock Exchange, 4(13), 59-83.
8) Faraji Amiri K, Hashemi H, Aminimehr A.A. (2014). Studying the Effect of Competition on Independent Auditor’s Fee on Audit Quality and Financial Reporting in Private and Public Sectors. M.A. Dissertation, Payame Noor University of Tehran.
9) Hajiha Z. (2019). Business strategy, Material Weaknesses of Internal Controls and Audit Report Delay. Quarterly Journal of Empirical Research in Accounting, 8(3), 153-179.
10) Hasas Yeganeh Y (2011). Philosophy of Auditing. Scientific and Cultural Publication, Tehran.
11) Jabarzadeh S, Damirchi A. (2017). The Relationship between Earnings Management and Audit Fee in View of the Corporate Ownership Type. Journal of Accountant, (305), 44-55.
12) Makarem N, Safarian A (2011). A Comprehensive Review on Financial Statement Auditing. Mehraban Nashr, Tehran.
13) Malekian E, Ahmadpour A, Talebtabar M. (2012). The Relationship between Some Corporate Governance, Audit Fees and Meter Ownership of Companies Listed in Tehran Stock Exchange. Journal of Financial Accounting Research, 4(4), 37-50.
14) Mehrabanpour M, Jandaghi Ghomi, M, Rajabbeyki, M.A. (2018). Social Capital and Audit Fees. Accounting and Auditing Review, 25(2), 269-288.
15) Nikbakht M, Tanani M. (2010). Test of Factors Influencing Financial Audit Fees. Journal of Financial Accounting Research, 2(2), 111-132.
16) Nikumaram H, Banimahd B (2012). Accounting Theory. Islamic Azad University Publication, Science and Research Branch, Tehran.
17) Rahnamaye Rudposhti F, Salehi A (2013). Financial and Accounting Schools and Theories.
Islamic Azad University Publication, Science and Research Branch, Tehran.
18) Soltanian H, Moradi M, Jabari M. (2014). Examining the Relationship between Abnormal Audit Fee and Audit Quality. M.A. Dissertation, Imam Reza University.
19) Tutian Esfahani S, Najafi N. (2020). The Effect of Prospective and Defensive Strategies on Financial Distress in Firms Listed in Tehran Stock Exchange. Journal of Business Management, (45), 335-351.
20) Acar. Rafet, Acar. Merve, (2019), “Effect of Auditor Characteristics on Audit Fees”, 9th International Socıal Sciences Confrence in The Balkans, October 27-28, 2019, Kuşadası-Turkey.
21) Bentley, K.A., Newton. Nathan J., and Anne M. Thompson. (2017). Business Strategy, Internal Control Over Financial Reporting, and Audit Reporting Quality. AUDITING: A Journal of Practice & Theory .
22) Bentley, K., T. C. Omer, and N. Sharp. 2013. Business strategy, financial reporting irregularities, and audit effort. Contemporary Accounting Research 30 (1): 780–817.
23) Change, Wenching and Helen Choy (2010)" Audit Partner Characteristics and Going Concern Opinions", working paper, www.ssrn.com
24) Chen, H., Chen, J.Z., Lobo, G.J. & Wang, Y. (2011), “Effects of Audit Quality on Earnings Management and Cost of Equity Capital: Evidence from China”, Contemporary Accounting Research, 28 (3), PP. 892–925.
25) Chen, Y., Eshleman, J., Soileau, J. (2017), “Business Strategy and Auditor Reporting”, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Vol. 36, No. 2, PP. 63-86.
26) DeAngelo, L. (1981), “Auditor Size and Audit Quality”, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 3, PP. 297-322.
27) Dehkordi, H.J., Makarem, N. (2011), “The Effect of Size and Type of Auditor on Audit Quality”, International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, (80), PP. 121-137.
28) Eshleman, J. D., and P. Guo. 2014. Do Big 4 auditors provide higher audit quality after controlling for the endogenous choice of auditor?
Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 33 (4): 197–219.
18 / The Effect of Company’s Business Strategy on Audit Fee and Auditor’s Opinion according …
Vol.8 / No.30 / Summer 2023
29) Francis, J. R., and J. Krishnan. 1999. Accounting accruals and auditor reporting conservatism. Contemporary Accounting Research 16 (1): 135–165.
30) Griffin, Paul A. and David H. Lont (2011) Audit fees around dismissals and resignations: Additional evidence, Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics 7 PP. 65–81.
31) Habib. Ahsan, Bhuiyan. Borhan Uddin & Rahman. Asheq. (2019). “Problem” directors and audit fees”, International Journal of Auditing, Volume 23, Issue 1.
32) Ittner, C. D., D. F. Larcker, and M. V. Rajan. 1997. The choice of performance measures in annual bonus contracts. The Accounting Review 72 (2): 231–55.
33) Ji. Xudong, Lu. Wei & Qu. Wen. (2018). “Internal Control Risk and Audit Fees: Evidence from China”, Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics.
34) Johnstone, K. 2000. Client-acceptance decisions: Simultaneous effects of client business risk, audit risk, auditor business risk, and risk adaptation. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 19 (1): 1–25.
35) Lawrence, A., Minutti-Meza, M. & Zhang, P. (2011), “Can Big 4 versus non-Big 4 Difference in Audit-Quality Proxies Be Attributed to Client Characteristics?”, The Accounting Review, 86 (1), PP. 259-286.
36) Miles, R. E., and C. C. Snow. 1978. Organizational Strategy, Structure, and Process. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
37) Miles, R. E., and C. C. Snow. 2003. Organizational Strategy, Structure, and Process. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
38) Olson. Eric M, Olson. Kai M, Czaplewski. Andrew J, Key. Thomas Martin. 2021. “Business strategy and the management ofdigital marketing”, Business Horizons, Volume 64, Issue 2, March–April 2021, Pages 285-293.
39) Rivo-López. Elena, Mareque. Mercedes, Villanueva-Villar. Mónica & Lago-Peñas. Santiago. (2019). “Audit Opinions: Are They Really Different for Family Businesses?” journals.sagepub.com/home/sgo, SAGE Open, PP. 1-12.
40) Sukma, Mutiara & Januarti, Indira. (2018). “The Effect of Size, Profitability, Risk, Complexity, and
Independent Audit Committee on Audit Fee”, Jurnal Dinamika Akuntansi: Faculty of Economics and Business of Universitas Diponegoro Jl. Indonesia, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 136-145.
41) Tsipouridou, M. and Spathis, Ch., (2014), "Audit Opinion and EarningsManagement: Evidence from Greece", Accounting Forum, Vol. 38, No. 1, PP. 38-52.
42) Wang, Y and, Chui, A., (2015). “Product Market Competition and Audit Fees.” AUDITING: A Journal of Practice & Theory: November 2015, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 139-156 .
43) Yen. Ju-Chun, Lim. Jee-Hae, Wang. Tawei & Hsu. Carol. (2018). “The impact of audit firms’ characteristics on audit fees following information security breaches” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
44) Zhang. Daqun “David”, Deis. Donald R & Hsu. Hsiao-Tang. (2019). “Corporate Innovation and Audit Fees”, Journal of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
تعداد مشاهده مقاله: 50
تعداد دریافت فایل اصل مقاله: 126