Anthocyanins, a prominent group of water-soluble plant pigments, exhibit noteworthy health-promoting properties and are natural colorants in food applications. This study aimed to optimize the solvent extraction of anthocyanins from Roselle petals using methanol-water solvent, with three independent variables: extraction time (2 to 6 h), extraction temperature (20 to 40⁰C), and Roselle petal to solvent weight ratio (2 to 6 g). Response Surface Methodology (RSM) based on Box-Behnken design (BBD) was employed for experimental design. The anthocyanin content extracted from Roselle petals ranged from 132.85 to 270.49 mg/L. Elevated extraction temperature, extended extraction time, and higher petal-to-solvent ratio significantly enhanced anthocyanin extraction efficiency (p≤0.05). The optimal conditions for maximum anthocyanin extraction were predicted as follows: extraction temperature of 40⁰C, extraction time of 5.71 h, and petal-to-solvent ratio of 6. Under these conditions, 266.19 mg/l of anthocyanin was extracted, validating the model prediction (R2=0.96).
- Nguyen TT, Phan-Thi H, Pham-Hoang BN, Ho PT, Tran TTT, Waché Y. Encapsulation of Hibiscus sabdariffa L. anthocyanins as natural colors in yeast. Food Research International. 2018; 107: 275-80.
- Andersen M, Jordheim M. Chemistry of Flavonoid-Based Colors in Plants. Comprehensive Natural Products II. University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway: Elsevier Inc.; 2010. p. 547-614.
- Castaoveda-Ovando A, Pacheco-Hernondez MdL, Priez-Hernandez ME, Rodriguez JA, Galoan-Vidal CA. Chemical studies of anthocyanins: a review. Food Chemistry. 2009; 113(4): 859-71.
- Ayari J, Karoui IJ, Abderrabba MA. Comparative Study between Different Tunisian Propolis Essential Oils and Their Antioxidant Activities. Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. 2020; 39(2): 215-229.
- Gould K, Davies K, Winefield C. Anthocyanins: Biosynthesis, Functions, and Applications. New York: Springer; 2008.
- Mahdavee Khazaei K, Jafari M, Ghorbani M, Hemmati Kakhki A. Optimization of anthocyanin extraction in Saffron's petal with response surface methodology. Research and Innovation in Food Science and Technology. 2014; 3(1): 37-50.
- Daraei H, Amrane A, Kamali H. Assessment of phenol removal efficiency by synthesized zero iron nanoparticles and Fe powder using the response surface methodology. Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. 2017; 36(3): 137-46.
- Vatai T, Škerget M, Knez Ž, Kareth S, Wehowski M, Weidner E. Extraction and formulation of anthocyanin-concentrates from grape residues. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids. 2008; 45(1): 32-6.
- Wang W, Xu S, Jin M. Effects of different maceration enzymes on yield, clarity and anthocyanin and other polyphenol content in blackberry juice. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 2009; 44: 2342-9.
- Lee J, Wrolstad RE. Extraction of anthocyanins and polyphenolics from blueberry processing waste. Journal of Food Science. 2006; 69: 564-73.
- Khandare V, Walia S, Singh M, Kaur C. Black carrot (Daucus carota ssp. sativus) juice: Processing effects on antioxidant composition and color. Food and Bioproducts Processing. 2011; 89: 482-6.
- Leung AY, Foster S. Encyclopedia of Common Natural Ingredients used in Food, Drugs and Cosmetics. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1996.
- Moghaddam AD, Garavand F, Razavi SH, Talatappe HD. Production of saffron-based probiotic beverage by lactic acid bacteria. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization. 2018; 12(4): 2708-17.
- Wu HY, Yang KM, Chiang PY. Roselle anthocyanins: Antioxidant properties and stability to heat and pH. 2018; 23(6): 1357.
- Mahadevan N, Kamboj P. Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn: An overview. Indian Journal of Natural Products and Resources. 2009; 8(1): 77-83.
- Chang YC, Huang KX, Huang AC, Ho YC, Wang CJ. Hibiscus anthocyanins-rich extract inhibited LDL oxidation and oxLDL-mediated macrophages apoptosis. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2006; 44(7): 1015-23.
- Kumar SNA, Ritesh SK, Sharmila G, Muthukumaran C. Extraction optimization and characterization of water-soluble red purple pigment from floral bracts of Bougainvillea glabra. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2013; 10: 2145-50.
- (18) Kunzek H, Kabbert R, Gloyna D. Aspects of material science in food processing: changes in plant cell walls of fruits and vegetables– a review, Z Lebensm Unters Forsch A. 1999; 208: 233–50.
- Santos TP, Cunha RL. In vitro digestibility of gellan gels loaded with Jaboticaba extract: Effect of matrix-bioactive interaction. Food Research International. 2019; 125: 108638.
- Klisurova D, Petrova I, Ognyanov M, Georgiev Y, Kratchanova M, Denev P. Co-pigmentation of black chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) anthocyanins with phenolic co-pigments and herbal extracts. Food Chemistry. 2019; 279: 162-70.
- Chumsri P, Sirichote A, Itharat A. Studies on the optimum conditions for the extraction and concentration of roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa) extract. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology. 2008; 30(1): 133-9.
- Sadeghi K, Razavi SA, Shahidi F. The effect of different factors on strawberry color stability in concentrate production. Agriculture, Knowledge & Technology. 2002; 11(2): 1-6.
- Farhadi Chitgar MF, Varidi M, Varidi MJ, Torabi A. Stability of Anthocyanins of Extracts of Three Barberry Species Due to pH Changes. 21st National Congress of Food Science and Technology of Iran (2013).
- Khalili V, Meysammi B, Fatemi H. Investigation of extraction and Separation of Anthocyanins form red cabbage by Ultrafiltration Hollow fibers membrane process. Amirkabir Journal of Science and Technology. 2009; 2: 27-34.
- Kim D, Heo HJ, Kim YJ, Yang HS, Lee CY. Sweet and sour cherry phenolics and their protective effects on neuronal cells. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2005; 53: 9921-9927.
- Boonkird S, Phisalaphong C, Phisalaphong M. Ultrasound-assisted extraction of capsaicinoids from Capsicum frutescens on a lab- and pilot-plant scale. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2008;15(6):1075-9.